Rockwall Brewers Association Bylaws Adopted Monday, April 16, 2012 (Article Three Modified 07/01/2017)
Article One — Name of Organization
The name of this organization shall be the Rockwall Brewers Association. It shall be herein after referred to as RBA.
Article Two — Purpose and Goals
1) The purpose for the RBA shall be to enjoy and promote the hobby of homebrewing.
2) The goal of the RBA shall be to engage in activities focused on homebrewing as a common foundation. Additional goals include
a. learning more about beer, beer tasting, beer judging and brewing techniques, based on shared knowledge and experience;
b. promoting the hobby and enjoyment of homebrewing; and
c. building a brewers community through social activities; and
d. to promote the responsible use of alcoholic beverages.
3) The RBA shall function as a non-profit/not for profit organization.
Article Three — Membership
1) All persons of legal age in the State of Texas to consume alcoholic beverages are eligible for membership.
2) The only criteria for membership acceptance shall be to make application to the club and keep dues current.
3) Each member of the RBA shall have the right to vote on club matters. The members of the RBA shall not be liable for the debts or obligations of the RBA. No member shall receive compensation for services rendered to the club except as otherwise approved by the Board of Officers of the club. A club member may be reimbursed for reasonable expenses incurred on behalf of the association, if approved by the Board of Officers.
4) The Board of Officers shall be able to grant honorary or sponsor memberships lasting for periods to also be determined by the Board of Officers. These honorary or sponsor members shall be entitled to all of the rights, privileges and duties of members except voting and being members of the Board of Officers.
5) The Board of Officers shall be able to grant Auxiliary memberships lasting for 90 days. These Auxiliary members shall be entitled to all the rights, privileges and duties of members except voting and being members of the Board of Officers.
6) All Members may bring guests to club meetings and functions.
7) Each regular membership to the club shall be from the time of payment for a full a calendar. Club membership cards are renewed every June 1st and run through May 31st. If you dues are current on June 1st, you shall receive a new card.
8) Auxiliary and sponsor memberships to the club will not receive a membership card.
9) Club membership shall not be denied to any individual on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, or sex.
Article Four — Meetings
1) The annual membership meeting of the RBA shall be held in January, the Board of Officers shall fix the day. The treasurer shall cause to be sent to every member in good standing a notice telling the time and place of the annual meeting. The primary purpose of this meeting shall be to select new officers.
2) The regular meetings of the RBA shall be held quarterly, the Board of Officers shall fix the day at least two months in advance.
3) The presence of not less than eight or ten percent, whichever is greater, of the members shall constitute a quorum and shall be necessary to conduct the business of the RBA but a lesser number may adjourn the meeting for a period of not more than six weeks from the date scheduled by these by-laws and the secretary shall cause notice of this scheduled meeting to be sent to all those members who were not present at the meeting originally called.
4) Special meetings of the RBA may be called by the President when he deems it necessary for the best interest of the RBA. Notice of such meetings shall be sent to all members at least five days before the scheduled date set for such special meeting. Such notice shall state the reasons that such meeting has been called, the business to be transacted at such meeting and by whom called.
5) At the request of two members of the Board of Officers or ten members of the organization, the President shall cause a special meeting to be called but such request must be made in writing at least ten days before the requested scheduled date.
6) No business but that specified in the notice may be transacted at special meetings without the unanimous consent of all the members present at the meeting.
7) All notices may be sent by mail, email, in the club newsletter, on the club website or other media that will reach the membership as determined by the Board of Officers.
8) The business part of the meeting shall be conducted under Robert’s Rules of Order. This should include a discussion of old business, new business, reports of committees, and reports of officers. All discussions held and decisions made during the meeting shall be recorded by one of the officers present or a member delegated to do so by an officer.
Article Five — Officers
1) The RBA shall be governed by a Board of Officers consisting of the following positions:
a. Elected officers
ii. Vice President iii. Secretary
iv. Treasurer v. Past President
b. Appointed officers
i. IT Director/Webmaster
ii. Minister of Education
iii. Membership Director
2) The membership of the RBA shall elect four members to serve as officers at each annual meeting. Those four officers shall select from among themselves those persons to be President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer who shall serve a term from January first to the following December thirty-first. Elected officers shall not serve more than three consecutive terms in the same position.
3) The office of Past President shall be filled by the person who has most recently completed a term as President. Should said person be unable to fill the office of Past President, the office may be filled by a former President selected by the remaining members of the Board of Officers. If no former President is available, then the office may be filled by any member selected by the Board of Officers.
4) The responsibilities of the officers shall be:
a. The President shall preside at all membership meetings, serve as Chairperson of the Board of Officers, present at each annual meeting a report of the work of the organization, see that all books, reports and certificates as required by law are properly kept or filed, be responsible for securing the meeting place, and have such powers as may be reasonably construed as belonging to the Chief Executive of any organization.
b. The president should also be on the signature list of the bank account along with the Treasurer.
c. The Vice President shall, in the event of the absence or inability of the President to exercise his or her office, become Acting President of the RBA, with all rights, privileges and powers as if he or she had been duly elected President. Additionally, the Vice President shall be responsible for encouragement of member participation in homebrew competitions, social activities, arrange brewery tours and to oversee club sponsored competitions.
d. The Secretary shall be responsible for Facebook, taking the minutes of all RBA meetings and Board of Officer meetings, and sending Rockwall Brewers Association notifications to members as directed by the Board of Officers. The Secretary shall also be the official custodian of the records of the RBA.
e. The Treasurer shall have the care and custody of all monies belonging to the RBA and be solely responsible for such monies or securities of the organization. The Treasurer shall be listed on the signature list of the RBA bank account along with the President. All expenditures of the club shall be paid using a check or an official method of payment that is traceable by the bank. Expenditures exceeding $100 shall be approved by the Board of Officers. Expenditures exceeding $500 shall be approved by the membership at a regular or specially called meeting of the club. The Treasurer shall render to the Board of Officers a written account of the finances of the organization at each monthly Board of Officers meeting. Such account shall also be available to any club member upon request. The Treasurer shall also be responsible for maintaining the club membership list and shall exercise all duties incident to the office of Treasurer as deemed necessary by the Board of Officers.
f. The Past President shall serve as an advisor the President and Board of Officers and shall only vote during meetings of the Board of Officers in the event of a tie. The Past President shall also serve as the Chairperson of the Board of Officers until the Board has selected a President.
5) Appointed officers – Appointed officers shall be selected by a unanimous vote of the elected officers at the meeting where the elected officers determine their positions in December.
a. IT Director – The IT Director shall be responsible for maintaining the information systems of the RBA.
b. The Minister of Education shall be responsible for activities of the RBA that will train members regarding brewing techniques, BJCP style guidelines, beer evaluation, BJCP judge training and other topics.
6) The appointed officers shall have the same voting rights as elected officers.
7) Any officer of the club may be removed by one of the following methods:
a. A unanimous vote of the other officers,
b. a vote of the majority of the members in attendance at a regular monthly meeting. A request for a vote must be recommended by a club officer or by fifty percent (50%) members of the RBA. A petition with the member signatures shall be presented to the Board of Officers at a regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of officers with explanation of the reason for the request of removal. Notification to the membership that an election will be conducted on the removal of an officer must be sent to the membership no less than five days prior to the monthly meeting.
8) On the resignation of an officer, other than President, the remaining officers shall select a person to take the responsibility of the officer who resigned. This person shall serve out the remainder of the resigned officer’s term.
9) In the event the President is unable to complete their term of office, the Vice President shall assume responsibilities of the office of President until such time as a meeting of the membership is held to vote on a replacement for the office of President.
Article Six — Voting
1) At all meetings, except for the election of the Board Officers, all votes shall be viva voce or a count of hands. Printed ballots shall be provided for the election of Officers and there not appear any place on such ballot any mark or marking that might tend to indicate the person who cast such ballot.
2) At all votes by ballot, the chairperson of such meeting shall immediately prior to the commencement of balloting appoint a committee of three who shall act as “Inspectors of Election” and who shall at the conclusion of such balloting certify in writing to the chairperson the results and the certified copy physically affixed in the minute book to the minutes of that meeting.
3) No “Inspector of Election” shall be a candidate for office or shall be personally interested in the question being voted upon.
4) Persons interested in serving as an officer shall submit their intent to the Secretary of the RBA. Any member may nominate someone as officer in the same manner.
5) The club’s officers shall propose to the members the issues and topics to be voted on by the membership. Any member may petition to any officer for issues to be brought to a vote.
6) Officers vote on expenditures of $100 or more. Expenditures of $500 or more require membership approval.
Article Seven — Committees
1) Committees may be formed as deemed necessary by the Board of Officers or as recommended by the members at a regularly scheduled meeting.
2) The Board of Officers shall select the committee chairpersons.
Article Eight — Dues
The dues of the RBA shall be set by the Board of Officers. Dues may be paid either annually or on a multiple year basis within limits set by the Board of Officers.
Article Nine — Amendments
Any member may petition for a change in the by-laws. When changes are suggested, the petition must be presented in writing and introduced at a regular meeting of the organization. The proposed changes shall be published in the newsletter and will be voted on at the next regular club meeting provided a 30 day waiting period has been met. A vote of the majority of a quorum of the club’s current members who are present at the meeting must approve a by-law change.