For Aaron Bruce’s second batch of beer, we decided on an English Brown Ale. From reading in my copy of Microbrewed Adventures I remembered the Original Dogbolter Ale recipe mentioned by Charlie and we were set. Upon doing some research, learned a bit more about the Goose and Firkin, pretty interesting! And I think it is cool that the Firkin’s owner’s last name was also Bruce…just like our Aaron!
- 10 lbs: 2-row English pale ale malt
- 1.25 lbs: crystal malt (40-L)
- 1/3 oz: black malt
- 2 oz: UK Goldings 6% alpha (for entire 60 minute boil)
- 0.5 oz: UK Goldings 6% alpha (at 15 minutes remaining)
- 1/4 oz: Irish Moss
- English type ale yeast (we used White Labs)
We did a one step infusion and a batch sparge…but once again forgot the Irish Moss…we are being called the “Cloudy Brewers” by our wives now. I can assue you it will not happen a third time!
Readings: Wort Temp 76 degrees | OSG 1.061 | Actual OSG 1.063 | Max ABV 8.26%